KPMG’s Project Management Survey 2017 is the third survey of this kind. This report combines KPMG’s insights and trends from across New Zealand with detailed analysis by experienced project management practitioners. It also draws on experiences from businesses who are delivering on the challenge of improving their project and programme performance. The survey explores current trends in programme and project management and provides views on the challenges the project management community faces.
Key findings include:
- There has been a continued and significant increase in project activity in the past four years across all sectors.
- Project failure rates are also increasing with survey results showing that only one-third of projects are delivering the desired outcomes.
- Only 29% of projects are delivering to budget and only a fifth of projects are consistently delivering on their planned
- Whilst most projects have active and engaged sponsors, only 10% are seen as providing extremely effective governance activities.
- These results represent a dramatic waste of resources in NZ.